Reduce Waste at Work
- Order supplies in bulk to minimise packaging waste and return damaged materials instead of throwing them away.
- Reduce energy costs by developing a policy to ensure that the most energy efficient equipment is purchased.
- Reuse old supplies and equipment, or consider donating or selling them to schools, thrift stores, etc.
- Recycle office equipment by sending photocopier and printer cartridges and printer ribbons to a remanufacturing firm for recycling.
- Reduce paper waste by photocopying double sided, printing double sided or using singled sided waste again as notepaper or for drafts.
In the lunch room at work :
- Avoid disposable products (eg polystyrene cups) and buy bulk supplies.
- Reuse items as much as possible such as reusable containers, coffee mugs, permanent dishes and cutlery, cloth towels, reusable coffee filters, etc.
- Recycle aluminium, glass and plastic drink containers.
- Avoid generating excess waste by using e-mail as much as possible, circulating one copy of a memo and have people sign it after reading, and editing rough drafts on computer.
- Reduce paper waste by photocopying double sided, printing double sided or using singled sided waste again as notepaper or for drafts
- Reuse old binders, file folders, report covers and general office equipment.